Wednesday, November 03, 2004

I need a break from politics and maybe this country

Our country is in serious trouble with the Republican juggernaut in Washington. I'm so angry I could write a book on the thousand ways that Kerry would make a better president. Do you realize that we're the only country in the world that still believes WMD ever existed in Iraq? I've had it.

This eloquent piece from Talk Left sums things up:


Many in the blogosphere are urging acceptance of the election results and, now that Kerry has conceded, an endorsement of support for George Bush because he is our President.

TalkLeft will not support George Bush. We recognize that
he is our President, but as our mission statement states, we will continue to expose the injustices in his Administration.

TalkLeft believes George Bush has been a terrible President, perhaps the worst ever, and objects to virtually every policy he has implemented.

The thought that he will pick the next Supreme Court Justices is terrifying. How many more will die in Iraq and elsewhere because of his unilateral decision to invade Iraq while terror threats from al Qaeda abound?

Our criminal justice system is not fair. Innocent people are languishing in jails and on death row. Mandatory minimum sentences and the wrong-headed drug war are locking up thousands needlessly at great expense to the taxpayer. Our civil liberties are under siege as never before, largely due to Bush's appointment of John Ashcroft as our Attorney General.

Bush's faith-based programs and continual expression of his
personal religious beliefs are offensive to those who do not share those beliefs and those who value the separation of church and state mandated by our Constitution.

TalkLeft will continue to bash Bush, fight Bush and mock
Bush--he may be our President but he does not have our support.

A comment on this article from ProudLiberal sums up my experience personally:

Alhough I agree with everything you write, I feel that things are bleaker than you think. This is not a country to be very proud of today, at least if you believe in democracy. I shudder to think of what this country will become. Sparta, perhaps.

For me, last night destroyed whatever faith I had in
America. I will certainly never trust my government again, nor will I trust the electoral system. Last night I cast my last ballot ever in an election. I choose not to participate in whatver monstrosity this country will become.

I certainly do not feel anything I can do will change the country, so I simply will quit trying.



The Republicans now control both houses, governorships, the White House, and soon, the Supreme Court; the system of checks and balances installed to prevent a faction from taking over our country has failed us. Given the overwhelming control the Republicans now possess, a political party with to which I have no connection ideologically, a vocal majority has seized power and therefore, the United States can no longer be considered a democracy. Taken together, it will be some time before my vote counts for anything in this country; I am a lost voice. And, I will not and can not look myself in the mirror if I were to vote for any candidate from the current Republican Party. After the sleazy campaign he ran against Kerry, there is no way he will reach across the aisle with a peace pipe like he's proclaiming; when he was elected in 2000, he shoved his policies down our throat and he'll do it again this time around. Not to mention the personal vendetta displayed as they spent over $20 million to knock out Daschle. These people are ruthless, gay-bashing bigots who want to keep every cent for themselves and screw the rest of the country. Fucking assholes.

The saving grace is that Iraq belongs exclusively to Bush and the blood will be on his hands. Karl Rove cannot spin failure in Iraq onto Kerry when, not if, we see another terrorist attack on the United States. However, since Bush cannot be re-elected and he has both houses, I'm frightened to see what legislation he will try to pass during these next four years. And we thought the last four were bad.

I'm tired and I have no fight left in me right now. The Bastard beat me. I quit.

1 Comments:

At 1:50 PM, Blogger Michael said...

These people are ruthless, gay-bashing bigots who want to keep every cent for themselves and screw the rest of the country. Fucking assholes.Agreed. Ben Tripp wrote along the same lines today in Counterpunch.(note: tried to link with html code, but the preview showed problems--here's a cut/paste link:
http://www.counterpunch.com/tripp11042004.html ). He concluded with, "the last time, Americans voted for this Hakencreuz Hillbilly because he misrepresented what he was about. This time, they knew exactly what he was about, and they voted for him anyway."

But, as you noted, chickenhawks always come home to roost. Iraq could do for Bush what Watergate did to Nixon--without recourse to some bogus "rehabilitation."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home