Sunday, October 24, 2004

I'm A Jayhawk

Some of you may be unaware but my name is actually the KU fight song. Here is a brief story and words to the song from the official University of Kansas Athletic Department Homepage:



George "Dumpy" Bowles, a student with the class of 1912, longed to make a great contribution to KU spirit, but wasn't big enough to do historic deeds on the athletic field. He turned to music and produced some outstanding student musical shows.

A song in one of these shows was "I'm a Jayhawk." Written in 1912, it was dormant until 1920 when a growth in school spirit brought out "I'm a Jayhawk" once more. The song contributed to the raising of funds to build both the stadium and union as World War I memorials. The 1926 glee club made it known nationally.

"I'm A Jayhawk"
by George Bowles
Talk about the Sooners, the Cowboys and the Buffs,
Talk about the Tiger and his tail,
Talk about the Wildcat, and those Cornhuskin' boys,
But I'm the bird to make 'em weep and wail.

Chorus:
'Cause I'm a Jay, Jay, Jay, Jay Jayhawk
Up at Lawrence on the Kaw
'Cause I'm a Jay, Jay, Jay, Jay Jayhawk
With a sis-boom, hip hoorah.
Got a bill that's big enough to twist the Tiger's tail,
Husk some corn and listen to the Cornhusker's wail,
'Cause I'm a Jay, Jay, Jay, Jay Jayhawk,
Riding on a Kansas gale.

Follow this link to listen to the song:
http://kuathletics.collegesports.com/trads/kan-fight-song.html

1 Comments:

At 9:39 AM, Blogger oyster said...

Neat page! Go Jayhawks!

I'll be introducing you in a few days over at YRHT. As for the links ability, there should be a green icon on the "Compose" and or "HTML" options band (near the italics and bold functions) which you can use after highlighting the link word (then type in the web address). If there's a problem, you can manually use this HTML code which I'll email you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home