Thursday, October 28, 2004

Armageddon

Everyone kiss your sorry asses goodbye, the Boston Red Sox have finally lifted The Curse. Maybe I shouldn't pay my mortgage bill this month, just in case I don't have a home tomorrow.

In all seriousness, hats off to the Red Sox and their fans for the domination of the Cardinals. It was most impressive, however, to be quite honest, the World Series was pretty boring from an objective point of view. Being from the Cradle of Liberty, I thought the Sox might be more diplomatic and actually give the Cards a chance (I guess Suppan did blow the gife from the Red Sox). I didn't watch most of the Series simply because the Cardinals were completely overmatched. I attempted to analyze what went wrong for the Cards, a team I thought would beat the Sox in seven games, however, there's nothing to analyze; every stat shows complete destruction.

In an earlier post, I blasted Bud Selig for the "Let's Overemphasize the All Star Game" abomination. I will not retract that tirade since there will be a World Series that will be affected by this decision. Obviously, home field advantage didn't matter much this year.

The man who turned everything around for the Sox: Theo Epstein. Canning Dan Duquette several years ago was the smartest thing the Red Sox have done in ages. From the ashes left behind by Duquette, and he left a pretty good team behind, Epstein briliantly added the missing pieces. In an interview with Mike & Mike this morning, Epstein stated that any moves the Sox have made and will make place the importance of the team over the individual. That's how the Yankees won in the late 90's.

I hope Brian Cashman was listening. If Epstein is a free agent, maybe George can sign him away from the Sox.

2 Comments:

At 10:38 AM, Blogger Michael said...

Noticed on your profile you're from the Badger State. Congrats on making it to NOLA. For ten years I lived up in Madison, mostly working, but finding the time to get a college degree (From UW, not Edgewood).

Great summers...winter--why dwell on that topic?

Alas, I never made it to a Packers game, but I did motorcycle past Lambeau Field once. OTOH, I saw the last UW mens basketball game at the old Fieldhouse...

Your Right Hand Thief directed me here. I'll do my best to keep up with your site...

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger I'm a Jayhawk said...

Thanks for the support Michael. There are many things that I miss about Wisconsin, but the winters are certainly not one of them. While I made a Lambeau game in the late 70's (They stunk but the uniqueness of the venue, even then, still brings back memories) but I must say I'm envious of the UW BB game. I saw many a game on TV from that Fieldhouse and it was quite an environment to say the least.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home